Half Day Intensive
The Half Day intensive Program provides a therapeutic group based intervention to children and youth with severe emotional, social or behavioral needs who are at risk for losing their school placement. Children and youth may struggle within emotional (identifying and expressing feelings, low self-esteem, anxiety, depression, managing anger and frustration), social (building and maintaining positive peer relationships, understanding and reading social cues i.e. body language, nonverbal and verbal communication, conversational and interactional skills), or behavioural (conflict resolution, decision-making, self-regulation, disruptive or aggressive behaviours) issues.
The program works with children one half day a week in conjunction with the school and individual classroom. The staff develops individual goals and strategies for the individual children in the program. The program is delivered through 1:1 instruction, group work and specialized computer programs for learning enhancement. A second part of the program works with the parents and helps establish an effective working relationship between them and the school as well increasing their understanding of the child’s learning/behavioral issues and the individual programming for their child.
The Half day Intensive Program aims to assist and empower children and youth to work towards their identified goals, to enhance self-esteem, and to build social and life skills. Nelson Youth Centres utilizes a variety of strengths-based approaches and resources i.e. Developmental Assets, Zones of Regulation, Superflex, andDBT Concepts and Mindfulness,depending on the unique needs of each group.
- Creating a positive and successful experience in learning
- Development of new learning strategies that can be generalized into the school setting
- Development of independent work habits, more effective time management and organizational skills
- Increase knowledge base of parents to support their child with learning issues.
- Developeffective communication between the child, family and school to ensure school programming can addresses the child’s learning and social/emotional needs.
- Children/Youth attend the program once a week.
- The program runs for 12 weeks.
- Groups are provided in Burlington.
- Children/Youth starts at 12:00 and the program concludes at 3:00pm.
- A four-week Family Support Program is available for parents/caregivers who children are participating in the program.
- Children/Youth between 8 and 13 years of age.
- Children/Youth who live in Halton.
- Referrals are from school and parents/guardians.
To register for our Half Day Intensive Program
Please contact Jill Shaughnessy – Intake Coordinator
E-mail – email@example.com or at 905-681-2611