Saturday Social Skills
Once a week social sessions
The Saturday Social Skill Program focuses on the development of social skills for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)who struggle with social skills and making connections with their peers. This program provides a group intervention that focuses on the development of social skills through cooperative games, arts and crafts, outings, and social based group work. Support is provided to parents in the form of information on services and resources available in the community and strategies used in the Centre with the children.Children must be able to function in a group setting with moderate supervision.
The programming focuses on the development and utilization of age appropriate social skills. Each week the children participate in a predictive, organized schedule to meet their needs through innovative activities.
Group activities include experiential cooking opportunities to interact in various community setting such as parks, pools, and community events, money
skills, friendship building, anger management, and more.
The morning schedule starts with supervised free play, giving clients an opportunity to work on friendship building, communication skills, and fair play. The morning social skills lesson centersaround the development of self-esteem, communication, and interactive peer questioning. Clients share their ‘news’ for the week in front of the group with a question and answer period after. The late morning activity allows our clients to show their creativity. Often, the afternoons are spent in the community where the children can practice their new and improved social skills.
Snacks and lunch are eaten together, to encourage the children to communicate with peers and staff while enjoying a break from scheduled activities. Referrals are welcomed from: parents/guardians, medical professionals, schools, etc.
- To develop age appropriate friendships, clear communication, and problem solving strategies in a safe, nurturing environment
- To develop social skills through recreational and experiential activities
- To provide a positive and fun experience in a safe and nurturing environment
- The program runs on Saturday from 9:00 to 3:00
- The program operates four 8-week sessions; in the Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer
- There is a program fee of $300.00 per session
- Children can be referred by parents/guardians, medical professionals, schools and other service providers.
- Children on the between the age of 7 and 13 years.
- Children who live in Halton
To register for our Saturday Social Skills Program
Please contact Jill Shaughnessy – Intake Coordinator
E-mail – firstname.lastname@example.org or at 905-681-2611